Palak Paneer (spinach and cheese) is not only my favorite Indian dish, it is one of my favorite meals in general. I order it every time I go to an Indian restaurant! Learning how to make it at home was a bit of a challenge, but once you get it down, it makes a great change of pace dinner options. You can sub or just add in other protein options like chicken, wild caught salmon, or grass fed beef to change it up even more!
• 2 tablespoons avocado oil
• 5 – 6 cups of organic spinach
• Paneer cheese or substitute
• 1 tablespoon garlic or garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon garam masala
• 2 teaspoons curry
• ½ shallot, minced
• 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1 cup bell peppers, sliced
• 2 tomatillos, chopped
• 1 tablespoon ginger, grated or ginger powder
• ½ lime, juiced
• ¼ cup cashews, chopped
• 1½ cups goat cheese or feta cheese
• ½ cup goat or Greek yogurt
• ½ cup cilantro
• 1 cup water
• 1 teaspoon Redmond Real Salt or Pink Himalayan Salt
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine oil, cashews, shallots, ginger, garlic, garam masala, curry and salt.
2. Whisk and sauté for about 1 minute to bloom spices.
3. Add peppers, tomatillos, and water. Sauté until veggies are soft. About 10 minutes.
4. Add in spinach and cilantro and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and pour mixture into a blender or food processor.
6. Blend very quickly a little until smooth. If you blend too much it could become too runny.
7. Pour mixture back into pan and add yogurt, lime juice and cheese.
8. Mix thoroughly. If you'd like, you can add additional spinach now and sauté it down to add some extra texture.